People are more and more overwhelmed by stressful situations and the most frequent response to the present reality is “I’m stressed”. The stress is contagious especially in a larger group as an organization and so a stressed person “spreads” it to his colleagues, his manager or his subordinates. In this context, an individual must control not only his stress level but also to pay attention to others’ stress impact on him.
There is a mutual influence between stress and the personal way of thinking. A moderate level of stress has a benefic effect on our mind’s flexibility, while an excessive one deteriorates our clear thinking and it affects our own discrimination and evaluation power. Our thoughts can stimulate as well the stress level and that’s why some of us perceive a situation more stressful than other ones.
Even there are stress sources we can’t totally control as overburden, role conflict, uncertainty and the major transformations of the offered products and services; every individual has access on certain measures to neutralize stress’ effect as:
- a better understanding of the company’s politics – sometimes leaving the company turns out worst than staying and trying to found out which are the organization’s motives to act in a certain why and direction;
- organizing our own labor space /desk – it can decrease the stress by the visual stimulation;
- a positive relation with colleagues – when you pass through a stressful period it’s better to share it with your close colleague;
- an appropriate communication – every individual must know that some of us prefer verbal communication and others the written messages;
- the analysis of the stress level in different year or day’s periods – by doing this analysis it can be identified the crowded periods which allows us to restage the activities;
- time management – our life’s objectives are being arranged according to our own life vision but all of us must use the same criteria separating the activities in three types: important and urgent, important and less urgent, less important;
- interior equilibrium – even there are unpleasant and uncomfortable situations any individual must learn to control his reactions; an efficient attitude is never to let a feeling of guilt to overwhelm you;
- physical and mental relaxation period next to an equilibrated food diet;
- observing the stress’ signs on other persons – apathy in relations, indifference regarding others’ opinions, self-isolation, irascibility, unorganized work style, disorder and the permanent search of things, the postponing of tasks’ solving, repeated delays on meetings;
- activities to diminish the stress in our spare time – never sacrifice your time dedicated to your family for your job because small or great family’s events give you the familial fulfillment! – Psychologist, Nicoleta Cramaruc